Sunday, October 10, 2010

Tissues, please...

At the end of each six weeks, our school has a "Top Dog" assembly.  At each assembly, students with perfect attendance for the six weeks are honored as well as students earning the title of "Top Dog".  I'm not going to go into all the details, but being a "Top Dog" is a pretty big deal and we were very proud that Jackson was chosen to be one.



Daddy got to come before work :)

and Yommy, too!


At each "Top Dog" assembly, a different grade level is in charge of the "entertainment" if you will.  Our fifth grade team was up first, and they hit it out of the park!!!  They have set the bar very high, I'm not sure anyone else will be able to live up to it!

When we walked into the gym, the fifth graders were sitting around the edges with cardboard signs in front of them.  After I got my class seated and settled, I glanced down at one of the signs and saw the words "You comfort me."  I thought to myself right then, "I'm not sure what's going on, but I think I'm going to need a tissue."  I looked at my good friend who teaches fifth grade with a questioning look and all she said was, "Just wait for the music to start."  Those of you that know me well know that if you set anything to music, I'm going to cry.  Well, that was a MAJOR understatement.  I needed an entire box of tissue for what was coming.

"You raise me up" by Josh Groban starts to play (tearing up already) and one-by-one the fifth graders stand up holding a sign written for a staff member.  These signs say things like "Mrs Sevigny, you made me feel better when kids made fun of me" or "Thank you, Mrs. Greear for teaching me my multiplication facts, now I make good grades."  and my very favorite of all "Miss Meadors - I said I do not want to go to P.E., but she said I could get used to it (he turned the sign over) and I did".  At this point, I'm in full on sob mode, and I can't even read the signs anymore because of the tears.


Little notes of thanks that filled our hearts and reminded us why we do what we do - day in and day out...Little notes that reminded us how precious these kids are...Little notes that reminded us they were really listening to our lessons...Little notes that reminded us how one smile, hug, or joke made a lasting impression...Little notes that reminded us how lucky we are to be entrusted with these students...Little notes that made a BIG difference right when we needed it!


Needless to say, there was not a dry eye in the house! Thanks again to our wonderful fifth grade team for this outstanding idea!  Did I mention that 2 out of the 3 teachers on the fifth grade are men?


Smiling through their tears - Beautiful 4th grade teachers...Shawna and Erinn.  They were very sweet to let me snap their pic during the presentation.  Thanks, ladies!
The students then delivered our notes to us personally, so we could say thank you and get a hug!  Yes, I did get lots of pictures of these deliveries, but can't include the pics for privacy reasons.

My personal note...  The kids call me Mrs. "Mac".  It's a little easier than McCammond, which always proves to be hard to say and spell :)

Ironically,  my sweet fifth grader delivered this to me during our Spelling Test!



If you get a chance this week, thank a teacher.  It might seem like a small gesture to you, but it can really make a difference!

Verse of the day - "Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:58

Blessings,
Kelli


3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. I would have been crying my eyes out. Thank you so much for what you do. Your students are blessed to have such a wonderful and caring teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Robin. Plus, you not only do it at school, but at church too.

    Mrs. Mac, you showed me you care when . . . you had a tissue ready for me during the sermon. Thanks. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comments. Thank a teacher today, tomorrow, and always. My Junior High and High School Sunday School Teacher passed away this weekend. He was very precious to all of us growing up. I sent him a card a few weeks ago, I just hope he got to read it. Robert meant so much to all of us growing up. He never had children of his own, but he always said he had plenty of children - all of us in the youth group.

    ReplyDelete