Saturday, January 29, 2011

What's your word?

Have you picked your word for this year?  I'm sure, like me, you've heard about this on the radio or from your friends.

You pick just one word to describe how you'll live this year.  My friend Ann's word is "hope" which I love and almost stole.  The guy on the radio chose "deeper" which I also like.  I've finally decided on "closer". 

In 2011, I want to be closer to God
                                  closer to Zach
                                  closer to the Bible
                                  closer to Jackson
                                  closer to my church
                                  closer to Kendall
                                  closer to service
                                  closer to my friends
                                  closer to charity
                                  closer to my kids at school...
I want to be closer to the person that God made me to be.

I was going back and forth between two words (maybe one day I'll share the other word with you).  I couldn't decide and the "deadline" was fast approaching.  My decision was made for me in the drive-thru line.  I was trying to rush home to get Jackson fed before play rehearsal.  My only choice was driving through somewhere QuIcKlY.  The girl at the window told me it would be just a minute before my order was ready.  So I turned up the "positive, encouraging" radio station I was listening to and tried not to panic that we were, like always, going to be late.  A teenager was giving his testimony and said "Jesus is your best friend.  He'll always be there for you.  You never have to worry about feeling alone.  He's sitting right next to you."  At that moment, I moved my purse out of the passenger seat so I would have room to set our order down.  I turned back toward the window and the girl was looking at me like I was crazy.  I realized that she had heard the man say "He's sitting right next you" and thought I was clearing a seat for Jesus.

As funny as it was for both the drive-thru girl and me, I thought to myself, "I should always remember that Jesus is sitting right next to me."  So I chose closer.  I want to be closer to Jesus.  Hopefully, I'll remember to move my purse - it is quite large.

So, what's your word?

Verse of the day - "The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth." Psalms 145:18

Blessings,
Kelli

3 comments:

  1. I would have to say that my word is steadfast. I have made a lot of progress on a lot of things in the last year, and as a family we are in a good place. We have our plans made, and our goals started. This year, what I need to be most, is steadfast. Steadfast in my habits, my goals and my faith.

    I had not heard of this before, but I have to say, I like it very much. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be closer to you too, babe. You're a fantastic woman, and I'm a lucky, lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great word!! And I love the story. I need to remember Jesus is sitting next to me. Too often I forget.

    ReplyDelete