Thursday, February 10, 2011

You Color My World

Let me begin by saying, "I LOVE FAMILY FUN MAGAZINE"!  They make finding creative, fun Valentines so e.a.s.y.!  Each year they come up with new, cute, "outside-of-the-box" ideas for both boys and girls.  Jackson and I love looking at the ideas and picking out each year's winner.

This year we went back to an old favorite - the crayon heart.  Jackson helped me make these two years ago for his 4-year old class and last year for Kendall's class.  Basically, you take all those old, broken, "nubby" crayons you have and turn them into a heart that doubles as a new, multi-colored crayon.

Materials Needed...

A helper (who is happier than he looks, by the way), a heart shaped muffin pan,

And broken crayons.
**Confession - You need a lot of bright colors to make the prettiest hearts.  My supply of broken bright crayons was down this year.  My mom bought me some from an estate sale a few years back and I save all the broken pieces of crayons my students usually have.  This year my class treats their crayons very well, so I didn't have enough broken bright pieces!  I thought what would Martha Stewart do?  And then decided that would be too much work and bought a pack of 64 crayons for $1.00 at the dollar store.

First things first...
 
The hardest part - peeling off the wrappers.  It doesn't matter whether they are new or old it takes a long time.  But we turned it into a party and even Zach and Kendall joined us!


Break the bigger pieces into smaller bits.  Jackson loves this part best!


Place the broken pieces into the muffin pan.  Try to put a varitety of colors in each heart.

Off to the oven...

Put them in a pre-heated oven of 250 degrees.  Leave in oven for about 10 minutes (not too long or the colors will combine completely).  They look a little scary when you take them out, but once they dry - they are beautiful!
Be sure to let them completely dry before taking them out of the pan.
 
Success!
Add some finishing touches... 
Add a few glue dots (or double-sided tape) to the back and it sticks to the paper!
The end product is fun, but not as much fun as spending time with each other when you make these gems!

Kendall picked out the "bear valentimes" for her class.  I promise I did not persuade her into this choice, but was SOOO happy to oblige! 
A Valentine baggie filled with teddy grahams and kisses - She helped me count and put the kisses in each bag.


And a little note glue-dotted to the other side of the baggie.
**Another confession - I love glue dots.  I think I might have become addicted to them.  I use them on everything!  If I'm ever trapped on a desert island - I would like to have my bible, clorox wipes and glue dots.  I'd be like McGyver, only craftier and cleaner!

Verse of the day - "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness." Jeremiah 31:3

Blessings,
Kelli

6 comments:

  1. You do THE MOST creative things. In these moments I am a little sad that my kids are homeschooled. Gifts like this just seem so fun. That said, good job! I am sure they will be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I have a ton of nubby crayons. . .if I were closer, I would have given them to you. Those turned out super cute (and inexpensive). I love it! One year one of my students got each student a ruler with a note on it that said "You rule!" I thought it was really cute and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the crayons. We did that last year- may have to break out the old favorites!!! Such great ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the hearts & Valentines!
    ( I'm Abby Ed's sister!)
    You write the kindest things on her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative!!! You go girl! Mom

    ReplyDelete