Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday

Zach was off today (he had to work Saturday and Sunday).  He really wanted to go fishing - he really deserved to go fishing.  But instead, he brought me lunch and had lunch with Jackson, (he also brought me some plants I had forgotten for Science), picked up Kendall early from school, and picked up Jackson from school.  He is such a great dad!  I pulled up in the driveway to this fun sight...


This just makes me laugh!


Some of Kendall's fine work

Ever since Math night, Jackson has been obsessed with multiplication.

More math

Some more of Kendall's work - I think this is titled "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood".  She's very deep!
After the kids washed the chalk off their hands, we headed to church for Fat Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) pancakes!  Shrove is the past tense of shrive .  To shrive someone is to listen to his/her sins or confessions.  So the day before Ash Wednesday is the perfect time to shrive.  The pancakes play into this story because they require milk, butter and eggs - which traditionally were given up during the Lenten season along with meat.  Add a little flour to the milk, butter and eggs and you get pancakes!

They were really yummy despite the look on Kendall's face!

Me: "Why did you pull your pant legs up?"
Kendall: "Because my tummy is so full!"  Like I said earlier, she's very deep!

Mmmm...Finger-licking good!
And now Lent begins...What will you give up?  I've told my body that I'm giving up fat, but none of it has fallen off just yet!  So, I'm going to give up sodas (among some other boring little things).  That means no more Diet Coke - YIKES!  I'm not sure if you should pray for me or Zach or my kids or my students.  You choose.

P.S. Jackson's first baseball game is tomorrow, our 1st/2nd grade program is on Thursday, 50's day is on Friday and then....SPRING BREAK!!!

P.P.S. Please read my friend Lana's CaringBridge Journal found on the right sidebar.  She's my age and had a double mastectomy last Thursday!  She has faced this cancer with such grace, courage and strength - I am so amazed by her!

Verse of the day - "Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20

Blessings,
Kelli

4 comments:

  1. Cool! I had no idea the significance of it all! Sounds like you guys have a busy, but fun week ahead. I hope you are able to rest and recuperate over Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for amazing husbands! The pancake dinner looks so nice. Wylee wears her pants like that all the time. She claims she is too hot to wear pants. I tell her she can put shorts on, but she prefers to fold her pants up into shorts. Crazy girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm giving up sweets. God and I did negotiate one exception for a piece of Caroline's birthday cake, but otherwise I'll try to be good. So far I'm thinking I should have given up something else- like alcohol. I go about 363 days a year without it, so 40 days would have been a breeze. :) Good luck. We'll have to keep each other honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the diet coke girl. I know you can do it, I'll just pray for the people around you :D

    ReplyDelete