Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cards, Parties, a Beautiful Tree and Bob!

Wednesday's events in pictures...


Mrs. Sevigny's brother came to read the "Texas Night Before Christmas".  He does it every year and the kids love it!
 
Nothing beats a good book!

Excuse the not-so-great picture, there is a point!  At our 1st Grade Christmas Parties each year, we exchange Christmas cards instead of books or presents.  It's another brilliant idea courtesy of Mrs. Sevigny!  It doesn't cost a lot and in return you get lots of great cards to read.  Plus, they are fun to make!  Yommy found a bunch of musical Christmas Cards at an estate sale this summer.  Jackson decided that he wanted to use these as his Christmas cards for school.

 
Each card had a place for a picture, so Jackson personalized the front with a message and a drawing.  He would open each card, listen to the song and decide which classmate would receive that card.  Not sure why I did not video that moment.  It was really sweet.  He would listen a little a bit and then say, "That has Taylor written all over it!" or "Zach would really love this one!".

Transition to my classroom - We decorate these cute bags to hold our cards.

Then we mail our cards the morning of the party.  We don't open them until the party so our parents and guests can help us read the tougher ones.
 
This is the beautiful tree section of this post!  Each year on party day, Mrs. Sevigny dresses up as a Christmas Tree.  Seriously, is she not the greatest teacher ever?  She looks so cute and the kids LOVE it!  I wish you could have seen and heard the kids when we picked them up from the gym.  They were mesmerized!


Michel and I with our favorite tree! 
I am so blessed to work with these fabulous ladies!!!


Jackson at his party!

The food was great!
 
Jackson opening his Christmas cards.  He couldn't wait to read them to me after school.  They really love those cards!


How could I not take this picture?  Two of my favorite people!


And now the Bob section - This is our classroom "Elf on a Shelf".  We named him Bob.  Yes, Bob!  Max and Peter were the elves in the other two 1st grade classrooms.  Bob has been a very welcome addition to our class this month.  The kids love coming in the room and finding Bob each morning.  This is where we found him on party morning - in the Christmas tree.  If you get to speak with me privately sometime, I'll tell you exactly how Bob made it to his perch this particular day.  It's quite humorous!
 
Bob is very hi-tech!  He can text Santa without moving.  How you ask?  Well, he has a microchip in his brain.  I could say things like, "Bob, could you please text Santa and let him know that *insert student's name* is doing a great job!" or "Bob, please text Santa and report that *insert student's name* is not following directions.  Oh, Bob - how I'll miss you come January 4th.  He has also elicited some questions from my students such as "Doesn't Bob get cold each night when he flies back to the North Pole?", "What do elves eat?", "Why does Santa sometimes wear glasses and sometimes not?", "When is Santa's Birthday?", "When is Bob's Birthday?".  Luckily, Bob could also send me messages via his microchip.  So, he helped me answer a lot of these questions!  Thank goodness!!!!


I hope that each of you get to experience Christmas through the eyes of a child!

Verse of the day - "The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world." John 1:9

Blessings,
Kelli

5 comments:

  1. I think Bob, Peter, and Max were lucky to get to come to Lubbock and to Wheelock. I am glad the kids got that wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will Ms. Sevigny wear the tree to church on Sunday - or possible Christmas Eve for the choir?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts!! You have the best stories! It looks like there were several great Christmas parties. I wish I had a dress just like Ms. Sevigny- so cool and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, today is "Steal Ideas from Kelli's Blog Day". I might just have to dress up as a Christmas tree for AWANA next year. That is SO cool. Even though we love homeschooling, if I KNEW my kids would get a teacher like you, I might be tempted to send them.

    ReplyDelete