Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bittersweetness

I know I'm SOOOO far behind on blogging.  The good news is school's almost out and our regular baseball season is over so I can hopefully catch up soon!

Most school years around this time I begin counting the days until I get to spend lots of quality with my lovebugs.  This year is different however.  I find myself wishing and wishing that time would stop for a few days or even weeks!  Everyday as the kids and I count the days we have left on the calendar, I choke up and some days even cry a little.  I'm sad that soon they will be 2nd graders and I won't see these same, sweet faces looking back at me August, I'm sad that Jackson will soon be a 2nd grader and Kendall will be in the big girl 3-yr old room, I'm sad that I won't see my teaching friends everyday during the summer but I'm saddest of all because...my sweet friend Cheryl is retiring!

I'm so happy for her and NO ONE is more deserving than she, but I'm still sad.  It truly is bittersweet!  All year I've been cramming my emotions into hidden little places in my heart.  I've had to will myself not to linger too long on the subject.  That was probably not the best idea because now I can't control when all those hidden emotions might rear their ugly heads.  We've already dubbed Friday "Blubberfest 2011".  Our students are going to think we've finally lost it! 


It's the Cheryl Sandwich - Michel, Cheryl, Kelli. 
Also known as the best teaching friends this girl could ever ask for!
There aren't enough words to describe what Cheryl means to me and our school!  She is a friend, a mentor, a leader, an encourager, a prayer warrior, a soundboard, an advisor, a cheerleader, a faith builder, a spirit lifter, a confidant, a relief provider, and a source of laughter and joy not to mention an AMAZING teacher!

Cheryl took me under her wing my first year teaching.  I'm not sure I could have made it through that year without her!  I wouldn't be the teacher I am today without her help and guidance.  The first graders she's taught over the last 30 years are better for having her as their teacher.  Think about the best teacher you've ever had and multiply that by a hundred - she's seriously that good!

We've become very close over the past 10 years.  We've prayed through many joys and sadnesses together.  I now consider her family like my own now.  I'm selfish like that - Plus, she's got a pretty amazing family!  And my family considers her one of their own (she might not want to claim that one).  Zach and I were so blessed that she was Jackson's teacher this year (no, he's not the reason she's retiring).  I cannot tell you how much he has learned from her.  His brain and his heart have tripled in size!!!

I could go on and on and on and on....My mother-in-law used to describe people's professions by saying, "He made a lawyer" or "She made a teacher".  God never made a better teacher or friend than Cheryl!

Zach keeps telling me things to make me feel better. (It makes him really uncomfortable when I sob uncontrollably.)  He says, "You guys will always be great friends.", "You'll see her at church every Sunday.", "You guys will have lunch together over the summer." and my most favorite "You can still text her all the time."  I know all of these things are true.  It will just be hard to not see her everyday and hear of her adventures!  Did I mention she's a good story teller - add that to the list?

Congratulations, Cheryl!  I'm so excited for you! And as Jackson would say, I love you "too" much!!!!

Verse of the day - "A friend loves at all times" Proverbs 17:17

Blessings,
Kelli

P.S. Please say a healing prayer for Cheryl's back!  She's not a complainer and you would never know, but she is in a LOT of pain which is adding to the stresses of finishing up a school year!

3 comments:

  1. My goodness, I think I'm totally experiencing all those emotions with you! What a sweet post, and what a special relationship you guys have! It's amazing how close you can become with your co-workers when you're in the trenches. Remember, though, a good cry is good for the soul!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... what a sweet tribute. You have such a kind and loving heart. I can name a few teachers like that I had, and they jewels. We are wrapping up our school year too. I have to be honest, I am not as bittersweet as you are. I am pretty glad to see it go. It was a good year, but we are SO done. Wed and Thur (if we don't just cram it all in tomorrow and call it) and they we will be ready for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the article. Mrs. 7e has touched many children's lives, over her wonderful career. Those sweet children were very lucky to have had such a great teacher. All of you ladies are also lucky to have such a great support group for each other. Even though you won't see each other every day, you can still stay in touch (very often)!!!!!

    ReplyDelete